Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Don't Criticize A Single Mom

Today something is on my mind and I guess because I am a wee bit bothered by, I just gotta let it out!

There are more single mothers out there now then ever. We see them loaded with their kids at the grocery store. How about driving down the road with the backseat full of kids. Stop and think for a moment.

I hear all the time parents talk about how rough it is sometimes to keep control of their kids. It is challenging for parents of small kids. Especially parents that work long hours and are just too tired to come home and spend time with the kids. That MUST change first of all. Did you know that kids act out the most because they want your attention. I know this all too well.

So we have two parents who work and have a couple small kids. They are having it rough in the house because of the lack of balance! If you find that you don't have time to spend with your family - YOU NEED ANOTHER JOB! Plain and simple :)

Now that we have the scenario with two parents and a couple kids. A lot of us can relate! Myself included! Well times have changed. I am now divorced and my kids' father has no part in their life at all. So what am I dealing with? Here's a list:

1. ALL financial burden is on me. I have my own business.
2. I am my kids' mom and dad emotionally.
3. I do it all. Run errands, shopping, ball practice/games, homework, comfort, play, take them to church, pray with them. EVERYTHING!
4. I go to school.
5. Active in most church activities.
6. I do all my household chores.
7. The list goes on and on!

I will admit it, it can get hectic. My kids get rowdy. I have a difficult time trying to tame them down. They are not on meds, but I know my youngest is very hyper. My daughter is dealing with bitterness because her father is not in her life. I am trying to keep her from getting that way. IT IS NOT EASY!

MY LIFE IS VERY HARD! Yet I REFUSE to be discouraged and dwell on that. Instead I take my energy and focus it on making us all more comfortable and happy, seeking God and WISDOM through it all.

I said all of that to say this: The next time you see a single mom get frustrated and raise her voice. If she is tired and doesn't have the energy to play with her kids... Instead of saying how bad of a mom she is and beating her in the ground. Try helping her. Two hours of alone time and help to her is A LOT for a single mom.

Take the kids to the park so she can have some "me" time. Any single mom doing it alone is a GOOD Mom! She is also an exhausted one.

You MUST maintain balance in all aspects of your life.

2 comments:

  1. The ONLY single mothers I criticize are the ones who get pregnant SOLELY to trap the dad or PURPOSELY try and keep a GOOD father away from their child(ren). Oh, and the ones that look at them as more money from welfare. THEN I have a problem. Moms (single or married) that take care of their children I have NO problem with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks - I totally agree with you! It's very very common and drives me crazy!

    ReplyDelete